Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy Post Thanksgiving! And DWM!

We had out TG on Saturday, as everyone in my household worked over the actual holiday. This is something we are used to. We were able to gather some family together and have a nice dinner and visit, so I am thankful! I am also thankful to be employed with a very good job!
I thought about going out to shop on Black Friday AM after work, but I was so exhausted...no way! That early morning rush is not really for me anyway! If I do much shopping, it will be on etsy, or I'll make stuff myself!
I have a few things I am working on. I got these little blocks out tonight to sew some more of them. They are 4" Bowtie blocks. The pattern can be found here
I am making the blocks and playing with settings right now. It is a new to me technique of making the bowtie block. Kind of fun, because you get a little bit of dimention in the center of the block. I found it fun to unfold them and see how the center folds out. I'm easily entertained. LOL!
Here's one of the blocks:

And here's a setting I was playing with:

I am making the new Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. I finished step 2 tonight. I quilted the quilt that is pictured on my header of this blog. I will show a photo when it is bound. I love days when I can sew and quilt without other demands on my time! Don't we all!

On another subject:
I realized I had not shared about our new dog Charly and the reason we have her! It has been about 2 months since our Akita, named Boxer (Bubby for a nickname) got very sick one day and we took him to the pet emergancy clinic, but it was too late! I don't want to say too much, as it still hurts to write about it, but he had a Gastric Torsion. His stomach got twisted. This is a life threatening condition. Bubby had been vomiting for several hours and we were talking about taking him to the vet on Monday-it was Sunday. Then I noticed his abdomin was hard and distended, and I know something was very wrong, so we took him to emergency. The vet said he could not do anything for him, but put him down. We were kind of shocked to loose him like that! It took awhile for us to want to adopt another dog, but we felt Walter needed a companion, and we missed having two dogs.
This is Walter:


And Here is our new dog Charly:

She is a Bull dog and possibly a Pitbull cross. She is loving and playful, protective and a handful! She does keep us hopping! Lately she has been trying to "talk" to us when she wants attention or is bored and wants to go out to play. We got her from the local animal shelter-SCRAPS. She is 2 yrs old.
So it is bitter-sweet. We have this great new dog, but lost a dear old friend.

Be sure to check out Patchwork Times for other DWM posts Here
God bless! May we all be thankful for the blessings in our lives!
Mary

3 comments:

Chris said...

I have a soft spot for bow ties. They have always been one of my favorites. They look great :)

Pieces of Time said...

So sorry to hear about your dog. I know we would be lost without our Charlie, an Aussie. I love your quilt with the crosses. It is cheerful.
Jane

Helen in the UK said...

So VERY sorry to hear about Boxer's sudden death, but, welcome to Charly. Love those little bowtie blocks :)